Monday, January 31, 2011

Dino Day

I am SO ready for spring!! I just cannot wait to be able to go outside. My kids are getting bored and going stir crazy. So in an attempt to keep my kids entertained and save money, I came up with Dino day. It was actually a lot of fun. My kids are so easy to entertain. We colored dinosaur pictures, played Dino, Dino egg (duck,duck, goose), Decorated salt dough and paper mache eggs, had an egg hunt, made salt dough fossils and ate a volcano cake. Hopefully I can start coming up with some other fun things to get us through the rest of the winter:)

Paper Mache eggs - I put a little toy dinosaur in a balloon, blew it up and covered it in paper mache and let it dry overnight. The kids really liked decorating them and they loved breaking into them and getting the dinosaur out.

Volcano cake - This cake was super easy. My sister in law Sarah gave me the idea. you mix a cake mix as directed and pour into a bowl. pour a can of frosting in the middle and put it in the microwave for 8 min. Turn onto a plate and the lava pours out. Next time I will do red frosting. (they didn't think it looked very much like lava)


Salt dough eggs - I wrapped little toy dinosaurs in salt dough and shaped them like eggs and let them dry. They took almost 3 days to dry but the kids also thought these were pretty cool.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I so hate not having neighbors for my kid to play with...

What a great, fun mom you are! Very creative!

J-ME said...

What lucky kids you have. That looks like the BEST DAY EVER!

JaMilLyN said...

You are such a fun mom! I'm pretty sure I will never be like that. I just envy those like you. Your kids are so lucky.

Jilleen said...

You definitely are a fun, creative mom. Let me help you next time since you have the majority of my kids always there. My kids thought the cake was awesome btw.

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

Holy crap that is awesome!! Your such a fun mom I love it.